Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Just A Spoonful Of Sugar

The Facebook status question was "Help! How do I get my 3 year old to take her medicine?" This was the boat I was in a few weeks ago with my own three year old, the sweet but "strong-willed" Aubree.

What we tried:

1. Putting the (already grape flavored) medicine on a spoon and expecting her to open her mouth and take it.
2. Putting the medicine on a spoon and telling her that after she took it, she could have a drink.
3. Putting the medicine on a spoon and telling her that after she took it, she could have a piece of candy.
4. Explaining to her why she had to take the medicine.
5. Threatening her with a punishment if she didn't take her medicine.
6. Putting the medicine in a medicine dropper and squirting it into her mouth while holding her down.
7. Putting the medicine in a little bathroom cup and letting her drink it up with a straw. (This was semi-successfull...we were on to something).
8. Doing it the Mary Poppins way, "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!" Success!!!!

We actually put the medicine in a bathroom cup and added some sugar, then let her drink it up with a crazy straw. We had no more problems.

On a side note, yes, I know I've made another reference to another Julie Andrews movie. I love Julie Andrews. I will watch anything with her in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment