Sunday, October 2, 2011

Natural Birth...WHO DOES THAT???

On September 27th, 2006, at about 11:45 pm, my water broke. A few hours later, my contractions finally started. I got an epidural after my “hee hee whooing” made me hyperventilate. Caura was born at 11:04 am (on September 28th). I was a fan of the epidural.

On October 29th, 2008, I went to the hospital to be induced. I was given a dose of cervidil at about 9:45 am. The cervidil immediately put me into labor. I was moved to a delivery room and requested an epidural. My water broke. A very short time later, the baby was ready to come out. The epidural was at the door, but it was too late. After 8 minutes of pushing, Aubree was born at 1:43 pm. I became a fan of natural birth.

On April 8th, 2011, my baby’s heart rate was going all over the place. I was 4 centimeters dilated. My doctor sent me to the hospital for monitoring and then to have the baby. This time, I was better prepared to have a natural birth. I learned how to “hee hee whoo” without hyperventilating. I learned how to make my body relax during a contraction. I learned how to focus and be calm during the contractions. I learned not to fear the contractions, but instead welcomed them because I knew each contraction brought me closer to having my baby. My Midwife broke my water at 8:15 pm. Saige was born at 10:02 pm.

The 10 best things about a natural birth:
1. You don’t have to have an IV or a catheter.
2. During labor, you can get up, walk, and change positions.
3. Your baby will be born with wide open eyes. Everyone will comment on how she is “so alert.”
4. You can immediately get up and walk around after the baby is
delivered.
5. You don’t have to get a needle in your back, and you don’t have to
heal from that needle in your back.
6. You don’t have to wait hours until you can feel your legs again.
7. You are in control of pushing. You know when to push and for how
long. You won’t “over-push.”
8. Many times it makes the whole birthing process (especially the pushing) go quicker.
9. You will feel so incredibly empowered.
10. For some reason, you just heal quicker.

Are you thinking about having a natural birth? Have confidence. You CAN do it!


*Disclaimer: Natural birth is a personal decision. I in no way feel that I am better than anyone else because I had a natural birth. I understand that having a natural birth is not a possibility for everyone. I understand that I have had pretty easy and quick labor and deliveries without complications, which made it more possible to have a natural birth.

****If you are having trouble leaving a comment through your google account try this: Sign out. Sign back in and unclick the "keep me signed in" option. If that fails, just comment under "anonymous" and then write your name in the comment box.

2 comments:

  1. Huge fan of natural birth myself and feel sorry for the many, MANY women who have very long and painful labors and have to go through all the trauma of an epidural. My best friend had her first child after I'd had 3 of mine. As to my drug-free deliveries, she said, "I used to think you were some kind of a hero. Now I just think you're stupid!" Haha! I don't consider myself either. Just very fortunate to have had short, productive labor and deliveries. A trait I clearly did NOT pass on to my daughters. Sorry girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Rebecca will just have to be the one to get your good birthing traits.

    ReplyDelete